Saturday, December 17, 2011

Sneaky Advertising

Two words: Product Placement

Back in the days of "The Andy Griffith Show", it was not uncommon to see Andy stop by the gas station to buy a Coke (the actual product).  Sometime during the 70's though, there was a public backlash away from this kind of overt advertising during movies/TV programs and, as a result, products in shows became generic and unrecognizable.

Advertisers are sneaky though; they've realized that TiVo, Netflix and YouTube are effectively eliminating the effectiveness of commercials.  They have slowly worked their marketing efforts back into movies and television over the last 30 years or so--some of them quite subtly...and other's not so much.

Enjoy!
Great Video about Product Placement in Movies

Will Smith Advertising Converse in "I, Robot"
I don't even like Converse and this video kind of makes me want to try them out.  

Thought Process: Will Smith is cool--Will Smith wears Converse--if I wear Converse, then I will be cool like Will Smith!

"Transformers" Plugging for ... just about Everything

And last but not least, the famous (or infamous) daytime soap opera "Days of Our Lives" has made a shameless contract with General Mills to market Cheerios.

I actually just found out that Proctor & Gamble/WalMart are producing family movies with their brand names products all over them as well.

So keep your eyes open the next time you see a movie or TV show--you might be surprised by what you didn't see before!

I'd love to hear of any other good (or bad) product placement that you've seen / heard about.

Please comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Hubs and I are always finding the little advertisements in movies. Drives us nuts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was kind I'm surprised how often they pop up. Of course, occasionally they are just part of the movie and may not intentionally be there, but when they practically give you a 30 second commercial, it is pretty obvious.

    ReplyDelete